Duration: 2 days, 9:30am – 5:00pm
Precious metal clay can be sculpted like ordinary clay and then, amazingly, transformed into Fine Silver through a firing process! This course, which is suitable for beginners and the experienced alike, will teach you all aspects of working with this fantastic substance in a variety of ways.
Teresa Speer, who holds a BA (hons) in Jewellery, is a qualified teacher who has been in the jewellery trade for over a quarter of a century and has been teaching jewellery making for over 18 years.
Skills you will learn:
- Precious metal clay techniques including handling, shaping and forming the clay
- Precious metal clay syringe techniques
- Precious metal clay paste techniques
- How to set stones in the clay
- How to add texture
- Correctly drying the clay
- How to torch fire
- How to program the kiln for kiln firing
- Using cork or wood clay to create hollow forms
- How to make rings
- Creating a fine silver replica of a natural leaf
- How to give your pieces a professional finish after firing
- Oxidising your work
Jewellery you will create:
- You will create a collection of fine silver pieces:
- A beautiful natural leaf pendant
- A You will create a textured, syringed and stone set piece to be used as a pendant, ring top or earrings
- A hollow pendant
- A syringed pendant
- Two rings
All the materials needed for this course will be provided for £100. This includes:
- 21 grams of silver Art Clay
- 20 grams of Art Clay silver paste
- 10 grams of syringe silver
- A variety of CZ stones
You begin by creating a leaf pendant
You will then create a piece using texturing, syringe and stone setting techniques
This is followed by a hollow form piece using cork or wood clay
You then a create piece using syringe techniques
You will learn different ways of firing your work
On the second day you will make 2 rings using different methods.
You will learn to finish your work to a high standard, both while it is still clay, and then after it has been fired into fine silver.
You will also learn how to oxidise your jewellery.